Call for applications for twelve PhD grants on Energy and Environment Solutions at Université de Pau et des Pays de l’Adour (UPPA)
The E2S-UPPA consortium (https://e2s-isite.fr/) gathering UPPA-INRA-INRIA invites candidates to apply for twelve PhD grants.
E2S-UPPA is handling a substantial, multi-year initiative devoted to three core research areas: (1) Energy: optimizing energy production and storage; (2) Environment: from anthropogenic disturbances to behavioral ecology; (3) Social issues – expertise, societal impacts and acceptation. Problem-oriented and inter-disciplinary research in Energy and Environment are pursued, and emphasis on either industry relevance or high scientific outcomes is put forward.
We seek outstanding candidates with a clear passion for research and who are excited by the opportunity to provide future solutions for energy and environment. Applications are invited from highly motivated candidates able to undertake a PhD project in all areas of Energy and Environment,
Number of Funding for PhD: Twelve doctoral grants (monthly gross salary before taxes 1685 €) are offered over a 3 year period. In addition, there would be the possibility to gain some experience in teaching if desired (with extra gratification).
Employer: Université de Pau et des pays de l’Adour
Start: September, 2017 Duration: 36 months
– Citizens of all nationalities are eligible to apply.
– Entrance requirements: candidates must hold a Master’s degree, or equivalent degree, with outstanding records.
– English language requirements: applicants whose first language is not French or English are usually required to provide proofs of proficiency of the required language skills.
– Required competencies: Applicants are expected to show outstanding commitment connected to the research priorities of the laboratories hosted by the consortium.
Three steps selection:
1st step: Candidates will be selected on the basis of the quality of their curriculum in relationship with the disciplinary fields of E2S-UPPA.
2nd step: Selected candidates will be directed to the appropriate laboratories corresponding to their competencies. They will participate in the development of a doctoral research proposal with the potential supervisor(s) and a three year work plan schedule. The purpose of this step is to prepare a thesis topic matching the competencies of the candidate, the expectations of the thesis supervisor and the challenges of E2S-UPPA. Applicants must be supported by one or several local host laboratory(ies).
3rd step: Interview – the candidate will be invited to defend his project in front of the selection board.
Criteria of selection of the candidate:
The candidate’s motivation, scientific maturity and curiosity
Candidate’s marks and rankings at the Master’s level of their academic cursus
The adequacy between the research project and his/her skills
Communication skills in written and spoken English
Ability to work independently and to take responsibility for the progress and the quality of the project
How to Apply: Candidates must send their application written in English including the documents listed below before June 10th, 2017, email@example.com
Required application documents (single pdf file):
– Cover letter – 1-3 pages where you introduce yourself and present your qualifications and achievements, and emphasis on future goals and research focus.
– Are there any specific projects and research issues you are primarily interested in (see list at the end of this call)? To be indicated in the motivation letter
– Curriculum vitae
– Copies of certificates of any academic degrees and grade reports during their master studies
– Copies of certificates of French and/or English languages skills (for non French or English speaking applicants)
– Two letters of recommendation.
Innovative concept and topics to be considered (indicative list)
· Georessources exploration characterization and production, innovative industrial process for subsurface investigation and management;
· New sustainable energies and processes, energy storage and management for the energy transition;
· Innovative industrial process and methods for management of energy production, transport and use, and risk management;
· Smart and green building and cities, new societal organization and development to reduce environmental impact;
· Plant, living organisms and aquatic environment dynamics, biology and dynamic of biologic populations and their ecologic and physical response to environmental forcing related to climatic changes;
· Data and big data management and use, smart web and green computing applied to energy transition, risk evaluation and management, industrial processes improvement;
· Impact and pollution reduction, waste and pollutant management, environmental impact analysis and remediation, biological response to environmental and chemical stresses;
· Energy transition and societal acceptance, energy laws and regulations, societal impact and associated societal development, new technologies for societal energy imprint reduction.
E2S will tackle this based on the task force qualities, among them:
· Numerical, computational and data/software management and development skills;
· Analysis and modeling of natural population of aquatic organisms, population biology and metabolism understanding and management;
· Statistical analysis and probability methods applied to data management and analysis, stochastic and deterministic partial equation analysis, differential geometry and numerical simulation optimization;
· Quantification of natural geological processes and surface and subsurface geological characterization, monitoring and inspection, Laboratory analysis of natural geologic objects;
· Physical and chemical characterization and modeling of natural and artificial materials and material damage, complex fluids mix, high power systems, coupled poral and fluid environments;
· Chemical synthesis and characterization of innovative material, polymers, and chemical processes related to pollutant, heavy metals and biologic activity;
· Physical and chemical analytical platforms for quantitative chemical, elementary and isotopic characterization of natural, artificial, biological medias;
· Energy law / environmental law, especially in the perspective of comparative law, international law and European law.